What up, everybody! I’ve got a new band for you and I think you’re going to love them just as much as I do. For those readers that check out my articles regularly, you may recognize this group from “In The Flesh #2”; they were one of the bands that I mentioned. And I’m so glad that I did.
*super loud announcer voice* Introducing…
As per usual, I’m here to share with you something that you’re going to need in your life (yes, I know I say that a lot, but I ALWAYS mean it).
On Friday the 13th, Fictive Firefight is going to be releasing their very first EP Tattered and I cannot fully express my excitement for the world nor do I think the world is ready for what they’ve got. IT’S TOO GOOD!
This album was self-produced, mixed, mastered, and written completely by the band. It was recorded in a storage bin (a great place to do it, in my opinion; good acoustics, right?) with a guy named Mike Britt (shout out to you, dude) and some of the vocals were re-recorded in the lead singer’s apartment. It took them about 7 hours and it didn’t cost them a fortune at all. Keep in mind that no one in the band had any training whatsoever in audio engineering – so creating this project was a learning experience and a first for all – but they sure pulled it off like professionals. The album is fantastic; 100/10! And no, that is not a typo.
I’ve had the pleasure of communicating back and forth with Shannon (the lead singer) for a couple of months now, which has been extremely helpful. She has been very informative and all around she is wicked delightful, I truly hope to be friends after this. Anyway, one night she sent me a paragraph describing each song individually, so I would like to share that with you, along with my personal feelings about the songs.
Here we go!
“The songs express the feeling of being worn, tattered, and the mental exhaustion that every middle-class person feels at some point. When you feel like you have a crisis not only midlife, but daily.”
- No Sense of Control: “Finding out the hard way that nothing lasts, everything will break; we all die and there’s nothing we can do about it. Trying to hold on leaves you tattered.
UGH, SHANNON, YOUR VOICE! This song was awesome, it starts the whole thing off with a bang. The beginning was nice and slow, giving you that anticipation for how the rest of the song is going to sound.
- My Least Favorite Thing: “Finding you are brave enough to tell a superior they are wrong, despite their ‘holier than thou’ perspective; their morals are tainted and need to come down a peg. But it’s also sort of sad knowing some stranger can cause enough anger in your life to finally lash out.”
This song has a hint of a Green Day sound in it and I love that, I think it suits the band very well. I could see myself singing this to an endless list of people… people that I see in my every day life.
- Midday Crisis: “Just looking at your day and feeling like every step you take is into a pile of dog shit; all the little things add up so fast that you just break. You feel like each day is a downward spiral and you have become your problems so much that you start to lose your identity. You don’t just break down at the midpoint of your life, but every day.”
This song is very upbeat and fun, I had it on while I was unpacking boxes in my new apartment and I ended up dancing around instead. I mean, that still counts as using my time wisely, right? I like the connection that’s made to Bates Motel (super obsessed with the TV show and everything that has to do with it), it added a certain kind of thrill to the lyrics.
- Regrets: “The realization that you have let your bad situation take over your personality and you feel sorry for how you have become a negative output on those around you. The line ‘What I regret the most, I have become so low I accepted pain with open arms just to feel something close to an accepting heart’, really sums up the mood.”
I love, love, love this song. It’s poetic, it’s beautiful, it’s heart-rending, and it’s full of melodies will seep deep into your brain. It’s my favorite on the EP, which I thought was going to be hard to choose, but as soon as it started I was hooked. I hit the restart button more times than I can count. It has the smallest running time, but has the biggest impact.
- Standoff: “Fighting with someone you love and though you know it’s breaking the both of you, anger is still your first response. But in the end you are ready to set aside your differences to be happy again.”
I really dig the lyrics, I think they do a good job describing what it’s like to be in a relationship. Fighting is pretty much unavoidable, you’re going to disagree on things eventually and occasionally, maybe more often than others. And if you’re invested in that person, you’re going to make sure you do everything you can to end the standoff because you want to be happy.
Okay, so I gave up writing a blurb for each song; as you can tell they’re not as detailed as they could’ve been. To be honest, I felt the same way towards each song. All 5 are absolutely awesome; they’re richly textured, thunderous and heartfelt. I didn’t want any of them to stop, I wanted them to keep going just for a little bit longer… or a lot longer. The talent among these three individuals is brilliant; making music seems to be almost too easy for them.
Tattered is groundbreaking. It speaks to you on such a personal level; no matter who you are or what you’re going through. I guarantee you’ll find yourself listening to each song thinking about how much you can relate to it. I’m not sure that I want to listen to anything else ever again… I’m also not sure that I’ll ever have the right words to describe just how blown away I am by this album and these people.
It’s raw, it’s real, and it’s rockin’.
“It seems like we having been building up for this release for a long time now, and I am really excited to finally have people hear it.”
– Shannon Nicholas, lead singer
I’m excited too, you guys have earned this! This album is one of the best I’ve reviewed; it’s my absolute favorite. I hope it becomes yours too, it deserves literally all the praise.
After you’re done reading this be sure to keep your eyes open for the release. I know I’ll be biting my nails in anticipation.
If you don’t check it out, you’ll be missing out!
Stay rad, babes ❤
You know the drill, check out their social media!